Are you getting ready to move to a new home? Are you feeling a little anxious about the process and wondering what you can do to make things as simple as possible? Do you have questions like “How long does it take to move?” or “How long does it take to pack?”
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, keep reading. Everything you need to know about moving to a new house is explained below.
How Long Does it Take to Move?
“How long to move?” and “How long to pack?” are two of the most common questions people have about moving to a new home. It’s important to note, though, that there’s not a one-size-fits-all answer to these questions. The answer for you and your family depends on a lot of factors, including the following:
- The size of your home
- The number of boxes/belongings you have to move
- The number of people you have to help you move
- Whether or not you work with a professional moving team
In general, the smaller your home, the fewer the belongings you’re moving, and the more people you have helping you, the faster your move will be.
Having a team to assist you is probably the most beneficial thing you can do to have a simple moving experience. No matter how healthy and strong you are, it’ll take you a lot longer than it has to if you try to transport everything by yourself.
Tips for a Smoother Move
In addition to hiring professional movers and/or recruiting friends and family to help with the move, we also have some great tips that can further simplify the move. Here are some of the best ones to try if you’re looking for a quick and easy move:
- Compare moving companies: The industry is worth $17.7 billion, and there are plenty of movers for you to choose from, so you should vet your options to ensure you’re picking the right team
- Book movers far in advance: Don’t try and contact a moving company the night before your move is scheduled; there’s a good chance they won’t be available, especially if you’re moving during the busy season (June-August in most places)
- Start early: The sooner you start packing, the easier it’ll be to load everything into the truck on moving day
- Declutter first: Take your move as an opportunity to clear out clutter and get rid of items you don’t need or want anymore; this will reduce the amount of stuff you have to move and speed things up
Don’t forget to pack a moving day bag, too. Fill it with items you’ll want to have readily available on your first night in the new place, such as clean clothes, toiletries, documents related to your new home, and your coffee maker, of course.
Prepare for Your Move Today
Now that you have a clearer answer to questions like “How long does it take to move to a new house?” do you feel more confident about your move? Keep this information in mind, especially the tips for a smoother move, to streamline things and keep your stress levels as low as possible.
If you want to improve your house before you move to try and increase its resale value, we have lots of helpful resources on our blog. Start by reading this one about new flooring.