Studies show that almost all molds create toxins and that as many as 70% of homes in the USA may have mold present in them.
However, these toxins don’t always cause health issues, unless people have an allergic reaction to them. In these cases, the dangers of mold spores include some serious health conditions.
Don’t take chances with your health, rather keep reading to find out what kind of mold is dangerous, how to identify it, and how to get rid of it.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungi that thrives in damp, moist environments. They occur abundantly in nature but rarely present a problem unless they start growing indoors, where air circulation’s limited.
According to Aesinspect.com, there are thousands of different types of mold that could infiltrate your home. The only way to truly know which ones are harmful is by hiring a professional to identify them.
Once you know what you’re dealing with, you can take steps to eradicate and prevent mold from recurring.
Stachybotrys Chartarum mold is one of the most common molds around and although it’s usually dark in color, it can also occur in shades of dark green or grey.
The dangers of black mold exposure include respiratory damage, headaches, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms in susceptible people. Children usually experience more severe symptoms associated with exposure to this mold.
The best way to get rid of mold is by cleaning the affected area with a strong bleach solution and dry it thoroughly. However, the dangers of cleaning mold this way include exposure to spores and strong fumes from the bleach.
For safety’s sake, it’s always best to get professional help when dealing with a mold problem.
Penicillin’s an important drug used to treat bacterial infections. It’s also a well-known allergen.
If you’re allergic to penicillin, Penicillium mold spores can cause respiratory problems, throat irritation, coughing, and sneezing.
We’ve all seen Penicillium mold before, it grows on spoiled food.
What Kind of Mold Is Dangerous to Most People?
Some molds can occasionally cause adverse reactions in most people. Fortunately, most of these types of dangerous mold are rarely found in the average home.
Aspergillus molds can cause a chronic pulmonary problem known as invasive aspergillosis.
Cryptococcus mold rarely causes problems in healthy people. If you have a compromised immune system, you could develop an infection called cryptococcal meningitis when exposed to this mold.
Histoplasma capsulatum mold may cause an infectious disease known as histoplasmosis if you inhale large quantities of its spores. This type of mold commonly occurs on bird and bat droppings.
Keep Your Family Healthy and Safe
Regardless of what kind of mold is dangerous to your health, it pays to keep your home free of this unwanted invader.
Mold looks and smells bad, so don’t let it establish itself in your home. Get your property checked and treated for mold regularly or you could end up with a serious problem.
For more information on common health issues, browse some more of our blog articles, or bookmark our site to stay up to date.