Relocating to another city or town can be an exciting experience but also highly stressful since you will be moving away from everything familiar, your family and friends and surroundings that you are used to. Two essential factors can ensure that a move goes down without a hitch:
- You must have a clear picture in your mind about what you are looking for in your new home.
- Make sure the entire family is involved in the decision-making process.
Make A List Of Your Requirements
This can include:
- Price range – work out a budget of what you can afford without overstretching it. If you require a home loan, make sure you obtain pre-approval via a financial institution or mortgage company to have an idea of the price range you’re looking at.
- Neigborhood – which area tickles your fancy? Inner city, suburbs, semi-rural or rural?
- Type of property – are you looking at townhouses, apartments or a complex with freestanding houses?
- The characteristics of the home – you must consider the number of bathrooms and bedrooms, the indoor and outdoor recreation areas and the kitchen size.
- Garages – do you require a single or double garage?
- Amenities – Are there any schools, public transport, shopping, medical facilities, sports and recreational institutions in the vicinity?
- Pet-friendliness – are you allowed to keep pets?
- Security – are there any security features like security guards, perimeter walls, electric fencing and access control?
- Views – Does your dreamhouse have a view?
Priorities Before The Big Move
You must decide before moving which items are essential and which are just nice to have. For instance, if you have children you will probably want a bigger home which is close to the school whereas empty nesters would rather want an apartment with entertainment facilities and shopping close by. The team at Road Haugs can move your belongings safely to whichever home and area you decided to move to.
Viewing Your Options Online
Online property rentals are incredibly useful tools in locating a new house in an unfamiliar area. Once you have entered the area into the website, a list of properties will be displayed that meet your criteria, with the rental agent’s contact details. Once you have selected a few chosen houses in your target neighborhoods, you can contact the agents to help you find the perfect home.
Renting Before Purchasing
In some cases, it can be useful to rent a house before deciding on purchasing it in a new city. This way you can make sure the house you’re interested in is in the right area before committing to purchasing the home. The only disadvantage would be that you will probably need to move a few times until you have located the right property. A significant advantage would be that you’ll have easier access to the houses that you want to look at in the new area. Online walkthroughs are not the same than visiting the actual house.
After you have moved, it takes about six months to familiarize yourself and find your feet in the new neighborhood and start building new friendships. If your household members are included in the process from the get-go, moving to a new house could be a rewarding experience that will only strengthen your family bonds.