How Much Does It Cost to Replace a Roof? A Homeowner’s Guide

Do you have a shingle roof or a metal roof?

If you’ve had some leaks, fallen shingles, and other misfortunes, then it might be a great time to purchase a new roof. With so many different roofs, you want to purchase one that won’t break the bank and will give you a lifetime of protection. 

Let’s learn more about the cost to replace a roof. 

What Determines the Cost to Replace a Roof?

Many factors go into roof replacements, but you can expect to spend anywhere between $5,000-$15,000 on a new roof. You’re probably wondering why this is such a big range, but there are so many factors that go into pricing. 

Material 

If you’re purchasing a shingle roof or a metal roof, the price can vary because of the material. Different companies also have a standard price they charge when they are going to do the work.

For example, one company could charge $2.50 per square foot for a shingle roof, and another company could charge $4.50 per square foot. This all depends on the material they are choosing, the warranty, and how long the product is expected to last. 

This is why it is always best to get a couple of quotes and do your research on the company. If the material is the same, then the price per square foot should not be that different. 

Roof Size 

Roofs vary in size and shape and this can be another factor when it comes to the cost of the roof. For example, if the roof is flat, or has one pitch, this can determine the pricing difference.

When a house has a high pitch, not only are you going to need more material to cover it, but the workers also have to take extra precautions when moving around. 

When a house is on the smaller side, it is not going to take a lot of material to cover the house. On average, a roof that is 2,000 square feet is going to start at around $7,000.  

Location 

Location plays a huge role when it comes to replacing a roof. This varies from state to state. States set different rules for what you can put on your roof because of weather factors. 

For example, a roof in Florida is more expensive than in Maryland because Florida roofs are susceptible to hurricanes. These roofs have to be able to stay on the house even if they are experiencing high winds and heavy rains. 

Old Roof Removal

When you’re deciding how much you’re going to spend to get a new roof, you have to factor in the removal of the old roof. This is not a service that is factored into the purchase price. 

This cost can begin at $1-$5 per square foot. When paying this price, they are getting rid of the material as well. You aren’t paying for just removal, you’re paying for them to dispose of it properly.

Labor Costs 

When you hire someone to complete a job, you can expect to see the material cost at around 40% of the purchase price and labor to make up the other 60%. 

When you break that down, the labor is costing you about $1.50-$3.00 per square foot. This isn’t something you’d want to handle doing yourself, so it is okay to spend the money to ensure a professional complete it correctly.

Read More Today

When it comes to the cost to replace a roof, many options factors into the price. At the end of the day, this is going to be a necessity to keep you and your family safe. Take the extra time to research materials, companies, and the best time of the year to complete the job.

For more tips, be sure to check out our other blogs on service and business. 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.