There are a lot of different types of tiles that are available in the market today. It is literally impossible for a homeowner to be able to review all these tiles before they go on to buy one. The question that may quite naturally arise at this point is, how exactly does a homeowner choose the tiles they need? Well, to answer that exact question is the purpose of this article. We will give you the low-down of what you need to know before you buy new tiles for your home.
Fix Your Budget
The cost of floor tiles will vary. This is because there are tiles available in the market that are cost-effective and there are also ones available that are much more expensive. This is why it is important to finalize a budget and from there to determine what you are willing to pay for per square foot of your home.
One thing that a lot of homeowners are doing these days is using the more expensive tiles in certain parts of the home, like the dining room or the living room. The more expensive tiles are normally set in places that visitors to the home are likely to see. The other more private parts of the home are where you can make use of more budget friendly tiles.
Determine What Quantity You Will Need
Before you start selecting your tiles, the contractor ought to give you an estimate of the number of tiles that you will need. If you are not using a contractor for installing your tiles, then it would be wise to make a floor plan of the entirety of your home and then take it to the tile store. The people at the stores will then be able to tell you the exact number of tiles you will need for your space.
It is always a particularly good idea to get a bit more tiles than the amount that has been specified by the tile store.
Decide on the Material
It is true that there is a whole variety of tiles that you can get in today’s market. However, we have listed the most popular types of tiles you can get in our list here.
- Tiles that are Vitrified are probably the most popular and also the most affordable tiling material out there and it is also one that you can get a hold of pretty easily. These tiles have the ability to give your home a very spacious and airy look
- Some of the all-time favorites when it comes to tiles are ceramic tiles and porcelain tiles. One of the best things about these tiles is that they are available in designs that are able to properly replicate the look that natural surfaces such as stone and wood have.
- Then there are also digital tiles which are a more recent innovation. With these tiles, you will be able to achieve a wide range of designs with the help of very high-tech printing. Digital tiles are normally categorized into 5 different groups according to their strength.
- If you want to go for a more traditional and bold look, then you simply need to get yourself some cement tiles that have been hand-crafted. These tiles happen to be one of the best ways to bring in an uncommon look to your home.
- Then you can also try to achieve that rustic look with the help of terracotta tiles that are earthy in color.
- If you are a fan of materials made from natural stone, then you ought to go for exactly that. You can get natural stones that have been properly polished and cut according to your needs.
Think About the Color Scheme
After you have completed all of the steps mentioned above, it is now time to pick out what color and texture you will want from your tiles. One thing you ought to take into account is the entire color scheme of the home and then buy tiles that accentuate that color scheme. Always remember that tiles are a pretty big investment and are one that is not easily replaceable.
Make Sure You Select The Right Size of Tiles
This is a thing that is often overlooked by a lot of homeowners but it is a fact that the size of your tiles will definitely affect the overall look and also the general feel of your flooring. The smaller variety of tiles are better suited for parts of the home that are also small. The larger type of tiles normally work best in homes that have a lot of space in them. The rooms need to be of a certain size in order for the larger tiles to look good in them.
Choose Your Finish
There are also a lot of varieties of finishes of floor tiles and each has their own unique characteristic. For example, glazed tiles generally have a finish that is very reflective and hence, they should be used in much smaller spaces. On the other hand, tiles that have the matte-finish are recommended for areas of the home that will experience a lot of foot traffic on a daily basis.
Select Your Grout
Another often overlooked step, remember that you need to pay as much attention to your grout selection as you did with your tile selection. Generally, homeowners go for grout that has the same color as the tiles they are being used on. This is done in order to give off a more uniform look to your floors.
Finally, we would like to just say that tiles are a very big investment. You really should not skimp on it, if possible. Another thing we would like to highlight is the importance of installing your tiles properly. If you do not think that you are up for the task, get yourself a professional. It can save you a ton of money down the road.