There is an impressively large selection on the window market, so it is often difficult for buyers to choose an option that is suitable for technical and aesthetic indicators. And also there are a sufficient number of proven window manufacturers. However, it is not always worth choosing only well-known manufacturers. In this article, we will look at several parameters that will help you choose the right windows for your house and cottage.
MAIN CRITERIA FOR SELECTING A WINDOW
When choosing windows, you should pay attention to the following indicators:
- Glass unit, fittings, profile.
- Manufacturer. We recommend choosing only trusted window brands with a good reputation.
- Warranty obligations. The warranty period for service and components must be at least 5 years.
Let’s take a closer look at these parameters.
QUALITY GLASS UNITS AS A GUARANTEE OF RETENTION OF HEAT IN YOUR HOUSE
The most important parts of the window are the glass unit and the profile. It depends on them how warm the room will be and how long the window structure will last.
Double-glazed windows differ from each other in different energy-saving characteristics and the number of cameras. Depending on this, they are single-chamber, two-chamber, or more.
Double-glazed windows are the most popular. They are installed in houses and apartments, in offices. The structure consists of 3 panes with an air chamber between them. Sometimes the chamber is filled with krypton or argon. Thanks to the use of such inert gases, the window receives improved heat and sound insulation. It is these indicators that make double-glazed windows more suitable for residential premises.
If the windows face mainly the south side, it would be a good solution to install a double-glazed window with tinted outer glass. This will protect the house from excessive sunlight.
PROFILE – A RELIABLE BASIS OF ANY WINDOW
The strength, service life. and appearance of the entire window structure depends on which window profile you choose. Look upon 4 types of profiles: wood, plastic, aluminum, and vinyl.
Advantages of wooden windows:
- The perfect construction of wooden windows is highly durable and allows the windows to serve for many decades.
- Wood is a highly environmentally friendly natural building material.
- Natural profiles guarantee excellent thermal insulation, frost protection at low temperatures.
- Modern wood is resistant to sudden temperature changes and other whims of nature.
- An important advantage of wooden windows is their resistance to condensation.
- Wooden window frames will provide excellent ventilation and good air exchange in the room.
- Wooden windows are incredibly aesthetic, they look cozier and more elegant than plastic windows.
The use of warm aluminum profile window constructions in houses will be the best solution, because:
- They have high rates of heat and sound insulation;
- It is possible to manufacture in a wide range of shapes and sizes;
- It is permissible to use various methods of opening the window;
- They have good protection against burglary.
Window structures made of PVC profiles with high-quality fittings and a double-glazed unit means heat preservation in the room, controlled microclimate. and significant savings in utility bills.
The popularity of plastic windows is due to important qualities:
- Ease of maintenance and functional durability of PVC windows. It is not necessary to contact the window replacement companies, you can install the windows yourself.
- High thermal insulation and tightness
- High sound insulation
Here are the benefits of vinyl windows:
- Vinyl windows require no maintenance.
- Vinyl windows constructed from Virginian vinyl will be reliable and durable.
- Vinyl doors and the frame’s corners are sealed. Wood and metal corners are difficult to create airtight as they’re linked mechanically. Regardless of whether they are smeared, the seal degrades over time.
- Vinyl will not rot like wood. Wooden windows are always at the possibility of developing moisture deterioration. If the trim breaks and moisture gets into the window, it can cause warping, discoloration, poor adhesion, and finally rot.
- Double-hung vinyl replacement windows are easy to install.
- Vinyl windows have more colors. Thanks to the PVC coating method that is innovative, Vinyl windows can be painted any color on the outside!
ACCESSORIES – THE IMPORTANCE OF THE PARTS
The fittings in modern windows are responsible for various options for opening the sash (micro-ventilation, horizontally, vertically), security (handles with locks), as well as additional options (ventilation limitation). It can be both external and hidden, depending on the design idea, the characteristics of the room, or the wishes of the user.
The quality of the fittings is of great importance since it can destroy the entire window. If the manufacturer saves on these parts, handles, seals and other components can wear out in the first year of use. As a result, there are problems with closing /opening the flaps, blowing, drafts, etc.